Whether you’re heading up to Tahoe for your first South Lake Tahoe New Years, or you are a seasoned visitor, you may be unsure of how to plan the perfect New Year’s vacation.
Necessary tips like these will help make your SLT New Year’s a night to REMEMBER!
– – – –
- Plan Ahead – Plan Ahead – Plan Ahead! Most of this list entails details of this #1 piece of advice. If you do not take anything else from this post, please remember to PLAN AHEAD!
- Avoid Driving at All Costs – Lets be honest, Taxi companies in town probably wont answer your phone calls. However, if you have to drive in town on New Years, we highly recommend planning your route and leaving early. The 50 will be closed between the casinos for about 2 hours (11pm – 1am) which means you will need to find alternate routes.
- Parking Nightmares – If you must drive, be prepared to spend a lot of time looking for parking. Whether you are heading to the casino craziness, SnowGlobe, or just want to walk around in town, cops will be out and not afraid to hand you a hefty citation!
- Cell Phone Service Disappeared? – For those of you who are new to the Tahoe New Year’s excitement, this is probably news to you. With the population of South Lake Tahoe TRIPLING over the holiday, cell phone reception is minimal at best. Don’t expect to reach Joe Shmoe on his cell phone via voice or text after about 7 pm.
- Hit Up the Grocery Stores Early – If you are planning on spending a quiet evening indoors and fancy some home cooking, make sure to go shopping well in advance or you may be stuck in long lines and poor road conditions. Don’t forget your Champagne the first time out!
- Ski ALL Day – If you plan to ski on New Year’s Eve, go early or don’t go at all! Lines will be at their worst around 8:30am, and then again at 12:30pm when the half-day passes start up. Most Tahoe locals wont even be out of bed today as your passes will be all blacked out.
- Enjoy the Music of SnowGlobe from your Backyard – Some may call it a nuisance but who DOESN’T want to hear some great music at a reasonable distance from your home? If you are in the Montgomery Estates, Meyers, or even many closer neighborhoods to the lake – chances are if you listen closely, you will hear them going Womp Womp in the night.
- Dress in Layers – Picked out the perfect New Year’s Eve dress? Think again… Too many snow bunnies try and brave the cold this time of year only to find themselves miserable and borderline hypothermic. Do yourself a favor and bring your winter jacket. You will blend in like a local if you wear your ski boots to the casinos!
- Buy Your Casino ticket in Advance – Tickets are already on sale for Mont Bleu’s NYE 2013. Save $20.00 if you buy it before Dec 29th.
- Make Reservations or Just Call Ahead – Sushi Pier will be turning your party of 8 away so fast you wont even smell the tuna!
* * * Lastly, be SUPER jealous (as we are) of the guests who get to rent this AWESOME Penthouse Suite over New Years! * * *